Thursday, January 6, 2011

Prayer for a stranger

I would love to write about the beginning of my spring semester but for now I will live you with a short little story.

Today after class I hopped on the bus to head home. A few stops later an older woman got on, walking with a cane - possibly homeless. It crossed my mind to stand up and give her my seat (there weren't many left) but she found one in the back so I ignored her and continued playing with my phone. We continued on and all of the sudden I hear this horrible hacking noise. The old woman had a terrible, terrible cough. It was just this dry unproductive hack. She would have a coughing fit, take a few breaths, and then go right into another fit. I stared hearing comments of people saying "ew" or "ugh" and I was a little grossed out at first - who knows what she has!

But in the midst of my silent complaint I felt this pull on my heart. I HAD to pray for this woman. While I was too chicken to go sit with her, chat with her, and pray in person with her I was GOING to pray. I sat there on the bus and just prayed for this woman. I prayed for her health, for her cough, for her life. I confessed my unwillingness to get messy and simply talk to her. I prayed that someone out there has or will talk to her and share the gospel with her. I prayed that God might reveal himself to her - that someone in her life might share the Good News and she would come to know Christ (if she doesn't already).

As I was praying her fits of coughing became decreased and she was able to breathe normally for a while. I was thankful for that. I don't know God works but I do pray that He does heal her if it is His will.

I don't know if I will see this woman again - maybe I will, maybe I won't. I don't know if I'll talk to her next time - maybe I will, maybe I won't. But that's ok. God knows. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment