Monday, December 27, 2010

Cats and Christmas presents

I have a cat. Her name is Fluffy. I got her as an 8th birthday present from my parents. She's a fairly ordinary cat who likes to sleep a lot, be let in or out every half an hour, and generally is a nuisance to everyone in the family. I love her.

Since I moved away to school she has had my whole bedroom to herself. Can you picture a cat curled up on a pillow of a full bed? Yep, that's her. When I'm home from school she loves it - I don't think my parents give her much attention - she follows me around the house. But when it comes time to sleep we've got problems! She sleeps in my spot. She may be the queen of my bedroom in my absence but I'm not giving up MY side of the bed for my CAT! I gently nudge her over and lay down. In 0.5 seconds I have a wiggling fur ball laying on my chest. I pet her as I doze off. I usually sleep on my side though so I eventually role over and she grumpilly takes the other side of the bed...usually after batting me in the face a few times first.

Anyway, that's not the point of the story. I had the grand idea of embroidering my mother's Christmas gift. I was sitting on my bed trying to thread the needle without much luck. I see my cat eyeing the bright red thread but I figure she's too lazy to play. I get back to focusing and the next thing I know I have a cat pouncing on my with all claws deployed. OUCH! I shooed her off of the string but she stayed sitting in my lap. Bad idea. Everytime I made a stitch she'd grab the other end. It was a game to her. I got sooo frustrated that I gave up for the night. Problem is, she did it again the next night - Christmas eve. It had to get done that night. I kicked her out of my room and she sat at the door yowling until I finished. She ignored me for a bit but then realized I have hands to pet her with. I'm not sure if that means I'm forgiven but I'll accept it.

I guess thats what happens when you try to mix Christmas presents with ornery cats. I've learned my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment